Men’s Winter League Round 2

It was another mixed bag of results for our Mens’ teams on a windy Sunday 22nd October.

Men’s 1 travelled to Peppard to play their 1st team in Division 3.  Having beaten a strong Maidenhead 4 away in their first match, it looked like a tough fixture and that’s how it turned out.  David Smith & John Phillips won the first set 6-4 against home first pair Dominic Cusk & Andrew Lee but they lost a close second set 6-7 on a tie-break and then lost the deciding tie-break.  Russell Finch & Matt Paxton had an almost identical score against Victor Fry & Anthony L’Anson, losing 5-7 6-7 0-1.   That made it 0-2 at the halfway stage when it was so close to being 2-0.  Finch & Paxton lost 1-6 4-6 against Cusk & Lee, but Smith & Phillips saw off Fry & L’Anson 6-0 6-4 to make the score a more respectable 1-3 but our team came home ruing missed chances in the first round.

After their narrow loss on games away at Slough in Round 1, Men’s 2 fared better at home against Maidenhead 5 in Division 5E.  Anthony Hayes & Andy Sayer had a good start, winning 7-6 6-4 against Roscoe Warren & Simon Brittain, but David Stone & Chris Torkington found Mohammad Ali & Tim Lattimer just too much of a handful, losing 3-6 6-7.  With Hayes & Sayer securing at least a point with their 6-0 7-5 dispatching of Ali & Lattimer, it was left to Stone & Torkington to win as many games as possible against the Maidenhead first pair to turn it into 2 points.  However, they surpassed expectations by beating Warren & Brittain 6-4 6-3 to take all three points.

Men’s 3 travelled to Chieveley attempting to win their first point in Division 6W following their 4-0 defeat at Windsor in Round 1.  They found the wind on these exposed courts posed as much of a problem as the opposition but, after losing the first set 3-6 against Lee Battersby & Tony Wells, Jim Hawes & Andy Stone managed to work out a winning strategy and took the second 6-1 and won the deciding tie-break.  Mike Smith & Steve Stow had a good start against Allan King & Malcolm Whittle, getting to 4-2 with both sides finding the wind very much in command.  However, the home side coped better and the Crows’ pair didn’t get another game, losing 4-6 0-6 despite their best efforts.  Hawes & Stone continued with their winning form in the second round beating King & Whittle 6-1 6-3 but Smith & Stowe were still unable to cope with the conditions, losing by an identical score against Battersby & Wells.  So a 2-2 loss by a set and just 5 games in the end and but it was the wind that was the winner in this match.